Monday, May 24, 2010

The Blog goes Fishing!!!

Well Mac is in town for a little R&R and the Crockett has the day off on Monday so we made the most of it. I called up a friend that has a little piece of land with a little pond on it and he gave us the ok to come on out. We swung by the local wal-mart to grab a few extra worms, spinner baits, hooks, weights and sunscreen. We didn't actually get started till mid afternoon and we were just filling the place out for about the first 30 minutes or so. Mac snagged him a bass, I snagged a log, then snagged a limb trying to drag a spinner underneath a tree on the bank. Mac was working on a backlash at the time so he wasn't paying much attention to what all was going on with me. I was in a heated battle trying to retrieve a $4 spinner bait from the clutches of the branches of a small cypress tree. Well, after a few minutes of thrashing the rod to and fro in an attempt to loosen the lure, the tree won. I guess I just put to much muscle into the last thrust and the Wal-mart special fishing pole snapped somewhere in the middle. I still had one eye left on the pole, so we did a makeshift cane pole type contraption to enable myself to continue fishing. Meanwhile, Mac is killing a worm with all the strikes he is getting on the end of his line. He'd grab one here and there but it only happened when he back lashed the reel into birdnest status. He did a swell job reeling in 5 fish for the day, but this blog supports "Catch and Release", so we let the youngsters back. I didn't fair well at all, as a matter of fact, I reeled in zero. I had some action with my shattered pole and had several strong nibbles and a few good strikes. Some several minutes after my rod snapped Mac decided to see how far he could chunk that lure......well, in his backswing of the cast he hit the side of the roof of the pier and lost control of his fishing pole and 'splash' into the drink the rod and reel went. It was a loner, as Mac has no gear here in town, but like a trooper, he took a swim and retrieved it so he could continue. Ironically, the fishing picked up a bit after Mac took a dip. I guess he 'chummed' the water and got the fish hungry. We continued to battle into the later part of the afternoon, trying to set the hook, trying to snag one out of the large conglomerate of small fish that were in a frenzy for something to eat. We did have a rather exciting moment when a rather large fish took my worm, I set the hook (no joke), and then the line broke. This fish had a bigger mouth than anything else Mac had pulled out but it got away. Then some 10 minutes later, the exact same thing happened to Mac. Had to be the same fish. This fish was a 3-5 pounder, had to be, and it was tough. Now it is really tough because it has two hooks stuck in its lip, hypothetically speaking. All in all, it was a fine day and we were grateful to have the opportunity to enjoy something outdoors for the day. The fish are still safe with us on the water, but hopefully we can change that one day. We do apologize for not having any photos as we took none.

No comments: