Sunday, November 29, 2009

Post Turkey Thoughts...and some recollections

Cool, my neighbor let me have internet access this weekend. Not real sure about the schedule, it is like here one day and gone the next so we will make valuable use of this time. Since the last post we once again were proven wrong and the Rebs escaped Oxford with a close one. Thanks LSU. I actually got to attend the game, albiet I had to watch the Ole Miss Coaches show and read the paper to find out what happened, I was there. A quick recap: We and I will refer to the crew as "we" for the duration of this piece and I also will not be referring to them in there real names as to protect the innocent. For story sake, we will refer to them as John, Paul, George and Ringo. So you have gathered there are 5 of us. Well, the 5 of us strike out from the metropolis of Greenwood via limo with a bunch of booze and beer. I don't think we tried to drink it all on the way up there but we didn't check up once we started. We get to oxford and get dropped off front and center....The Grove. Straight Pimping right; rolling out of a limo for the biggest game of the year. I felt cool for a little bit until I realized our limo was knocking like some old beat up Ford Tempo and fortuantely I ran into someone that I knew immediately. He pointed it out. So all that aside, we grove, we eat, we drink, we shotgun a damn beer in the grove. Never have I ever done that and I still feel a little trashy for doing so, but we (not the orignal 5, but a seperate 2) got challenged by some LSU students so we had to represent. I mean, you can't just back down when they draw a line in the dirt you know. I am pleased to announce that we won. No BS!! Anyway, after that display of classlessness we make our way to the game. Its packed, Its rocking and me and John and Paul have great seats. George and Ringo are sitting elsewhere and I am sure that they had a great time as well.

So I am snacking on popcorn...really don't know why...I just got through eating the equivalency of a whole chicken in tenders in the grove, but nonetheless, I wanted popcorn. Popcorn is a great snack and it also doubles as a fantastic celebration type confetti to toss in the air and amongst your fellow participants when the team does something good. After I tossed the remaining half the box in the air after a Rebel TD, John informed me that I could not have anymore popcorn. Fair enough. So the game progresses and the whole time John is on the phone with an outside source who will remain nameless about going up to his skybox. We got the Green light towards the end of the Third quarter and away we went. I didn't know what to expect, I had never watched a game from up there. I am too middle class for all that, but glad I got to experience it at least once. It's nothing special. There were so many people in there that we were basically working the door. I kinda felt like security. However, unbeknownst to myself you can have pretty much whatever you want to drink in the "Box". We were located adjacent to a fine cooler full of beer, which was good and bad if you know what I mean. Anyway, games over, Rebs survive and we start to roll out. We make our way out of the stadium and boy was that a journey. I mean me, john, and Paul were challenged with the basics of taking a step. Fortunately, we got back to our location of arrival and sitting there is our limo. It was hanging out there in the darkness, making no noise, but it could have been off. Who really knows at this point. Amazingly, George and Ringo arrived about the same time as we did to this chariot of consumption. We all just kind of looked at each other and said, well, I guess we can go back to Greenwood now. It was for the best. Any post-game celebration on our part could have resulted in some really bad shit happening. I mean fights and full on breakdown of all human and social services. Basically, the worst part is in the bible. We were toast.

So we load up and if you think that I am going to end this story by saying we all went to sleep on the ride home, well you are sadly mistaken. Me and Paul proceeded to put them back the whole trip home. We arrive at our destination which is located across the street from a bar. Touche!! We look around, and say, "F IT", lets go get a beer. It is a light crowd for a Saturday as most people are either in bed or still in Oxford but we basically turn up the gas when we get inside. That beer prophecy in the parking lot was just a sham. It was on to the leaded varieties, most of which I spilled on myself, and allot of misplaced and confused conversations which I have no recollection of having. I did manage to shut that place down and then I proceeded to walk home. It is only like a mile away so it was no biggie although it seemed like it took me a week to get home. I will end this by saying that I woke up on top of my bed with my clothes and shoes on, all the lights in the house on and the TV up to a volume just below a scream. It was a fun day. It was a memorable day that was almost forgotten. Thank you BBM and text messaging for making this story possible.

Moving Right along, It seems I was right about the Bullpups. They pounded it down our throat and made us like it. What a beatdown. It was like pistol whipping a blind kid. Just not fair.

No comments: