Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Owen Maricic!!




If you are like me, then you probably didn't watch much Stanford football this year other than last night. I recall hearing about this guy when he scored two TD's in 13 seconds earlier this year against Notre Dame, but obviously I hadn't watched him play. Well, this is now my boy. A two way player, which is virtually unheard of in this day and age of college football, and this guy is a beast. A fullback and a Linebacker for the Cardinals, and while his stats don't light up the box score, its the things he does on the field and how he plays is what impressed me the most. Couple that with the fact that he is obviously very intelligent, as he has to know all the offensive plays and the defensive plays. And based on what we learned last night, Stanford has some 300 plays in there playbook.
Well I know he had a TD rushing the ball and had roughly 4 yards on 3 carries. In addition, he had a sack in the game and I saw him in on a handfull of tackles. But the thing I really dig about this kid, is the way he blocked. I spent the majority of the game just watching him and Owen made some great blocks. This guy is tough. At fullback and linebacker, you are constantly involved in some type of head-on collision, and Owen was on the field for something like 80-90 plays. That's a whole bunch of hits on the body and lots of punishment both giving and taking.

At this point, who knows what kind of player this guy will be in the NFL, but he is listed as the #2 Fullback in college. So he will probably get an opportunity to take it to the next level. This guys a football player. Bar none. Hope you all saw the game and paid him a little attention, because he did a really good job. Not to mention, the guy rocks a pretty sweet mullet.


No comments: