Monday, January 26, 2009

Is Crossin Dixon this Milleniums version of Mississippi Rain?

So, I am scooting around town, running errands on my day off. You know, taking care of business. I am traveling westbound on Claiborne and I see a promotional sign in the distance. As I approach I realize it is for the group 'Crossin Dixon' and they are playing at an upcoming local bar called 'The Crazy Life' or 'La Vida Loca'... whichever you prefer. This got me pondering the question that is the subject of this post. Is Crossin Dixon this Millenniums version of Mississippi Rain? Anyone who had a pulse in the late 90's remembers Mississippi Rain. The Dull Gray/Black tour bus with the rebel flag painted in the back window. They were staples at the now defunct Levee Lounge, The Country Music Palace of Vaiden, Partners, and surely Anita's and probably The Country Store. It seemed that you could not grab a Tradewind magazine without seeing an scheduled concert for them on the back page. Them and Percy Sledge. The Rain, as I like to call them, played a mix of Southern Rock and Country and, though my memory fails me, I am sure some old 80's hair band ballads and the like. You know,"Every Rose has its Thorn" and "Purple Rain". While I am sure there styles vary in appearance, music and diet they do share a striking similarity in the fact that they play everywhere. I know squat about the music business, but I do know that bands trying to make it will and do play just about any gig they can get. It seems you can't turn on the radio these days without hearing a plug for 'Crossin Dixon' playing somewhere in the State of Mississippi. I personally saw them once at a Jackson 'hotspot' called "Fire". A really long story that I will spare you at this time. However, the place was packed and to be honest they put on a good show. The crowd was really into it and you could not squeeze another person on the dance floor. Much like 'The Rain' back in the day. As far as I can tell, and that don't mean much, they are a popular band. As popular as 'The Rain' was in the late 90's.Yeah, they have a website, a cd, a video that played on CMT, and some scheduled tour dates out of state. So they are growing. Good for them. I don't know for a fact, but I am almost certain 'The Rain' never cracked the countdown on CMT, much less put out a CD with originals on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Drew I Presume

SweetPea

Crockett said...

I could have been if you would have been a little bit more on the sober side.

Anonymous said...

Well Dr. Drew I did my best. You know what happens when I get to drinking to much.

SweetPea