Monday, September 28, 2009

The Adventures of Magnum P.I.G




Well looks like we have a new guest spot on the blog. I will be telling tales and spinning yarns about the upcoming competition BBQ cooking season as seen through the eyes of a local team, the before mentioned, Magnum P.I.G. That's right, all the fat. Maybe not all, but we will keep up to date with them and how they fair in various events. Now in case you are wondering what my relationship is to these fellows, well first off they are friends. Secondly, I am there liaison to the public eye other than the local paper. You may have seen them recently in the Commonwealth were they garnered a whole quarter of a page. And third, I had a small part in the name and I am available to them if they need a special order through my various purveyors that I deal with in my line of work. I guess you could say I am honorary member.

Anyway, the boys struck out this past weekend and competed in "The Great Ruleville Roast" and came away with 1st place in the Rib category. They entered other categories, like chicken and beans, but were in the middle of the pack in those categories. As a team overall they were in the middle of the pack as well. There were 18 total teams in the event, so for a first time out as unit, I would say nabbing a 1st in Ribs and finishing in the middle overall was a pretty good outing. Team members for the P.I.G are Otis, Cooter, Sweetpea, and Smiley. I went with the nicknames to allow for some level of privacy on there part. Lord knows they don't need stalkers.

Up next for the boys is the Pig Pickin over in Cleveland. This is a 'Memphis in May' sanctioned event so the competition will be greater as will be the stakes.
I am sure some of you are wondering what that bus is in the background. Well, that is the cooking rig and we will have pictures up for your viewing pleasure as soon as we get them.

1 comment:

MacArthur said...

It's very fitting that they have a "short bus" as their rig.