Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend and What's Ahead

Well there really isn't much use in putting up a big spread about the Rebels, we didn't really play anybody. I did so the first week because it was the first game of the year. We were supposed to win both of those games by the margin of victory we did. As I said after the Memphis game, I didn't really get an idea of where the Rebels stand as far as a team goes and I reiterate that statement again this week. I was glad to see that the 2nd team and other younger players got to see some action yesterday. This will no doubt benefit them having actually been in a game. But, now the real test begins. We have a short week and a trip to Columbia, SC too take on the Gamecocks. Despite what some people think about the 'Cocks' this is not going to be an easy game. Thursday night, Nationally televised and they have a Top 5 team coming into there house. I know if I was a student there, I would have started drinking and getting ready for this one about 20 minutes ago. Well maybe not. Nonetheless, this is just the beginning because after that we go back on the road to Vandy and then home against Rammer Jammer. All of this sounds favorable on paper but there are no gimmes in this league, even Vandy(they lost to State).

In addition, I looked around briefly last night to try and find out some info about the Rebels on Thursday night ESPN games and those efforts, while mediocre, proved fruitless. From my recollection, we got prison raped by Tennessee in Memphis in 1996 and won a pretty exciting game against Arkansas in Oxford in 1997. I was at both those games and Mac was with me in Memphis. If you need confirmation of my attendance I can give you a list of people or I can show you my college transcript because I failed some test due to attending the games instead of being a student, that's loyalty.

Anyway, while I don't agree with what everything Mac said about the Florida/Tennessee game he was right about one thing. Florida didn't look that good. Maybe there is some parity in the SEC this year, where in years past there has been one or two teams to beat. However, based on the polls, the West is where it is at with Bama, Rebs, and LSU Tigers living and breathing in the Top 10. Do I think the Rebels are one of those teams to beat? Not sold on it yet, and it would be entirely foolish to make an assessment like that at any point in the season, regardless of who we play. I just hope we can avoid the upset bug over the next two weeks and start looking a little more complete. Hotty Toddy!!!

No comments: